How To Install A Garage Door Overview
Installing a Garage Door yourself might seem like a daunting task. Bad news, it is. It can be very dangerous to perform this installation without any prior knowledge. We’ll do our best to guide you through.
Time To Install:
Table of Contents
Let's Get Answering Some Common Questions
If you’re thinking about installing your own garage door, you might have some questions. Here are some of the most common questions we get about DIY garage door installation.
- Can I install a garage door myself?
- It’s possible to install a garage door yourself, but it’s not recommended unless you have experience with this type of project. There are many complex steps involved in the installation process, and if something goes wrong, it could result in serious damage or injury. It’s best to leave this project to the professionals.
- How much does it cost to install a garage door?
- The cost of installation will vary depending on the size and type of garage door you choose. In general, you can expect to spend between $500 and $2,000 on the installation process. However, it’s always best to get a few quotes from different companies before making a final decision.
- What is the average lifespan of a garage door?
- A typical garage door will last for about 15-20 years. However, this number will vary depending on the quality of the door and how well it’s maintained. If you take care of your garage door and have it serviced regularly, it could last even longer
Tools Required For Installing Garage Door
- Safety glasses
- Socket/ratchet set
- 4-in-1 screwdriver
- Adjustable wrench
- Cordless drill
- Locking pliers
Simplified Steps To Installing Garage Door
- Measure the width and height of your garage door opening.
- Order a garage door that is the right size for your opening.
- Install the tracks for your new garage door.
- Hang the doors on the tracks.
- Install the springs for your new garage door.
- Connect the opener to the garage door.
- Test your new garage door to make sure it is working properly.
Advanced Steps To Installing Garage Door
- Hang the garage door opener bracket using lag bolts and washers. The opener bracket should be mounted 3 to 4 feet above the floor on the inside of the garage door opening, level with the jamb.
- Affix weather-stripping around the perimeter of the door opening with nails or screws. This will help seal out drafts and insects.
- Attach the garage door tracks to the brackets on either side of the door opening. Make sure that the tracks are level and plumb before attaching them.
- Suspend the torsion springs from the brackets above the tracks. Be sure to follow all manufacturers’ instructions when installing torsion springs.
- Install your garage door panels, beginning with the bottom panel and working your way up. Make sure that the panels are properly aligned with the tracks before attaching them.
- Attach the garage door hardware to the panels, including handles, rollers, and brackets.
- Connect the garage door opener to the garage door by following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Test your garage door to be sure that it is operating smoothly and correctly.
Contact Us To Get An Accurate Price
Need a Garage Door Rubber Seal Replacement in the Edmonton & St Albert area? Contact us to get your questions answered.